Legal research is not a substantive area of law, but rather a method for determining what substantive laws and procedural rules apply to a given case.
A wealth of legal information is available on the Internet. While an abundance of information can be found, it does not adhere to a uniform system of organization and is constantly changing.
One useful distinct in the field of legal research can be made between primary sources of law (such as statutes, court opinions, and regulations) and secondary sources which provide useful commentary and analysis of the law.
Top Rated Legal Research Resources:
Individuals may represent themselves in legal matters. Self-help should be considered when possible adverse consequences are relatively modest.
ADR Options for Legal Research:
- Mediation: Mediation is a recommended approach to resolving legal disputes before resorting to adversarial litigation. Mediation FAQ
- Arbitration: Arbitration is generally less expensive and time consuming than traditional litigation. Georgia law authorizes arbitration of a wide range of disputes. Arbitration FAQ
- Hybrid Mediation-Arbitration: Hybrid mediation-arbitration provides parties an opportunity to reach a voluntary settlement of some or all issues in dispute followed by arbitration of issues that the parties are unable to settle voluntarily.
- Case Evaluation: Case evaluation is an alternative dispute resolution method that is useful in the early stages of litigation.
- Discovery Audits or Masters: Discovery auditing service is available for litigated cases to help resolve complex discovery issues effectively.
Use the Center for Legal Solutions Georgia Attorney Directory to locate attorneys with experience in this subject area. See Attorneys listed on the right side of this page.
Our legal community-driven guide highlights the most relevant, timely, and useful links available.
| ||See our Georgia Supreme Court Blog. Our new blog examines the work of the Georgia Supreme Court. Further detail comes from our Court Opinions Database. Comments and links are welcome.
Attorney Profile Changes: Add two additional practice areas to your profile. Simply log-in to your Profile Control Panel.
ADR Profile Changes: (1) We are offering trial-use of our case coordination application to select neutrals, inquiries welcome, (2) The Center now recognizes specialized training in Juvenile Mediation and Collaborative Law. For recognition in these categories, simply log-in to your ADR Profile Control Panel.