Local Government Law encompasses issues unique to city, municipality and county governments in Georgia.
The Center's Local Government Law reference page is under construction.
Recent Georgia Supreme Court Decisions:
- HOMEWOOD VILLAGE, LLC v. UNIFIED GOVERNMENT OF ATHENS-CLARKE CO. (and vice versa) (Ga. 2013) More Information & Full Text
- FERGUSON v. PERRY and vice versa (Ga. 2013) (interesting case about ex-con's license to carry weapon) More Information & Full Text
- MESTELLER v. GWINNETT COUNTY et al. (Ga. 2013) More Information & Full Text
- CITY OF ATLANTA v. CITY OF COLLEGE PARK et al. (Ga. 2013) More Information & Full Text
- PIKE COUNTY et al. V. CALLAWAY-INGRAM (Ga. 2013) More Information & Full Text
- GREAT AMERICAN DREAM, INC., d/b/a PIN UPS NIGHTCLUB v. DEKALB COUNTY et al. (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- OWENS et al. v. CITY OF GREENVILLE et al. (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- ELLIS et al. v. CALDWELL (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- CARDINALE v. CITY OF ATLANTA et al. (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
- EAST GEORGIA LAND & DEVELOPMENT CO., LLC v. NEWTON COUNTY et al. (Ga. 2012) More Information & Full Text
Top Rated Local Government Law Resources:
Individuals may represent themselves in legal matters. Self-help should be considered when possible adverse consequences are relatively modest.
ADR Options for Local Government Law:
- Mediation: Mediation is a recommended approach to resolving legal disputes before resorting to adversarial litigation. Mediation FAQ
- Arbitration: Arbitration is generally less expensive and time consuming than traditional litigation. Georgia law authorizes arbitration of a wide range of disputes. Arbitration FAQ
- Hybrid Mediation-Arbitration: Hybrid mediation-arbitration provides parties an opportunity to reach a voluntary settlement of some or all issues in dispute followed by arbitration of issues that the parties are unable to settle voluntarily.
- Case Evaluation: Case evaluation is an alternative dispute resolution method that is useful in the early stages of litigation.
- Discovery Audits or Masters: Discovery auditing service is available for litigated cases to help resolve complex discovery issues effectively.
Use the Center for Legal Solutions Georgia Attorney Directory to locate attorneys with experience in this subject area. See Attorneys listed on the right side of this page.
Our legal community-driven guide highlights the most relevant, timely, and useful links available.